Everyone knows to wash their hands and cover a cough – right? But, did you know that eating well and staying well-hydrated are just as important to avoiding the flu virus? Try these good nutrition strategies to feel better this winter.
How to Eat Well
When you choose foods with nutrients that boost your body’s immune system, like vitamins A, C, and folic acid, good things happen in your body to avoid the flu. By simply eating more fruits and vegetables – fresh, canned, frozen – you will benefit. Here are some delicious options:
- Fresh oranges, grapefruits, all citrus fruits and juices
- Cantaloupe, avocado, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, fresh and frozen
- Spinach, kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, Bell peppers, chili peppers
- Kiwifruit, guava, papaya, dried apricots
- Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash
How to Stay Well Hydrated
When you drink lots of liquids day-by-day, your body stays moist and more easily keeps the flu virus away. By drinking plenty of hydrating liquids – plain water included – you will benefit. And, just as important as what you drink is the hydrating effect of fruits and vegetables. Because of their high water content, be sure to include fruits and vegetables in every meal to keep your body hydrated and moist. Here are some delicious options:
- Water, out of the tap or plain seltzer water with bubbles
- Herbal tea, 100% juice, 1% milk
- Watermelon salad, try my easy recipe
- Broth soup with vegetables
- Fresh Lemonade, try my easy recipe
- Lower-sugar smoothies with fruits and/or vegetables
- All fruits and vegetables – fresh, canned, and/or frozen
Avoid the Flu and Adopt Better Nutrition
When you make a point of eating well and hydrating well to avoid the flu, you are also eating better quality nutrition. As winter moves into spring, summer, and fall, don’t stop the trend. Keep your sights set on a nutritious meal plan paired with smart grocery shopping and cooking simple, tasty meals at home. My Free Menu Plans will give you a good start as will my Tasty E-books which offer a variety of menus and recipes. They are available for purchase. Take the beautiful plunge into healthier nutrition, today!
What are your 3 favorite hydrating fruits and vegetables?