Make these gems at Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, or whenever. They are a perfect balance of tart, sweet and comforting all wrapped up in a tasty muffin.
Cranberry and Corn Muffins with Orange Zest
Makes 12 regular size or 24 mini muffins
3/4 cup White flour
1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
1 cup Corn meal
1/4 cup Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
pinch Salt – optional
2/3 cup Nonfat milk, mixed with 1/2 teaspoon Vinegar
1/3 cup Orange juice
1/4 cup Canola oil
1 Egg, large
1 Orange, grated zest only
1 1/4 cups Cranberries, fresh and roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large blow, including white flour, whole wheat flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt – optional. Stir to mix up.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a small bowl, including milk with vinegar, orange juice, oil, egg, and grated orange zest.
- Add wet mixture (from step 3) to dry mixture (from step 2), then stir everything together just until they are mixed. Do not over-mix.
- Stir cranberries into batter without over-mixing it.
- Spray your muffin pan – either 12 regular size or 24 mini muffin – with vegetable oil spray to prevent muffins from sticking to pan. Spoon batter into the pans evenly.
- Bake for about 20 minutes (regular size) or 15 minutes (mini muffins). Test doneness by inserting a small knife into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, muffins are done. If not, bake muffins for 2-4 minutes longer.
Yes, muffins can fit into a healthy meal plan or snack plan. The magic is in making sure you are using light and nutritious ingredients. These cranberry and corn muffins are a great example of how tasty it is to eat well even while treating yourself. My free report, 3 Tasty Menus for Busy People, will aim you in the direction of better nutrition each and every day!
What kind of healthy muffin will you make next?