Grocery Cart Tips for Good Nutrition
Grocery shopping day is fun for some people and a total drag for others. It can pep you up or wipe you out. I’m here to offer tiny tips for putting you in the success column on grocery shopping day, today and forever! First things first, though. Please don’t go to the store hungry. And, learn tips for sticking to your food budget.
How Your Grocery Cart Helps You Out
A grocery cart is your rolling pantry/fridge/freezer, while at the store. Really, think of it this way and you’ll keep the bigger picture in view. Break it out like this and enjoy smooth sailing at the store:
- Choose the cart to fit your shopping list – bigger the list, bigger the cart.
- Clean it off at the store entrance. Yes, use the sanitizing wipes all over the handle and top of the cart. Then, clean your hands with a wipe – cleaner, the better.
- Use the top part of the cart for fresh fruits and vegetables. Spread them out and think them through. Make sure you have a good assortment, color, seasonal favorites. Buy enough, waste less.
- Mentally, divide up the bottom of the cart into 4 areas: Meats/chicken/fish; Dry groceries – non perishable; Dairy foods; Frozen foods. Keep these imaginary sections organized as you shop.
- Use the lower ‘shelf’ of the cart for non-foods such as cleaners, toilet paper, and school supplies. This way they will stay away from your food.
Start Fresh in Your Grocery Cart
Learning how to manage your grocery cart better can save you hours, dollars, and a lot of stress. Take time to get organized with the tips above. Also, take time to teach these tips to your family members, including kids. Why? Because healthier grocery shopping means a healthier you! For a great start, sign up for my 3 healthy menus and join me for daily tips on facebook.
Which grocery cart tip will you use & why?