First, Get Organized
Make a menu such as the one pictured at the left:
- Grilled Mustard-Maple-Ginger Chicken Thighs
- Grilled Mixed Vegetables
- Chilled Watermelon
Second, Prep the Food
- Try boneless and skinless chicken thighs for more flavor and less mess.
- Carefully cut the fat off chicken thighs and marinate them for an hour or so in a mustard+maple syrup+ginger marinade. Always marinate chicken in the fridge.
- While the chicken is marinating, wash and cut up potatoes, Bell peppers and onions into bite-size pieces and then mix them up in a bowl.
- Lay the mixed vegetables onto one-person-size, aluminum foil sheets and season each with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Wrap aluminum foil into a sealed ‘tent’ shape for each one-person-size packet.
- Slice or cut up the watermelon and hold it in the refrigerator.
Third, Heat the Grill
- For grilling a summer meal of chicken and vegetables, heat up your grill to 350-375 degrees.
- While the grill is heating for 10-15 minutes, get the marinated chicken thighs out of the fridge.
Fourth, Cook the Food
- Place the mixed vegetable packets onto the grill first and allow them to cook 5-10 minutes before adding the chicken thighs to the grill
- Place the marinated chicken thighs directly onto the grill. Smaller thighs will take about 10 minutes to cook, turning after 5 minutes. Larger thighs will take 12-15 minutes, turning after 5 and 10 minutes.
- Chicken is safe to eat when it’s internal temperature is 165 degrees. Check this in the thickest part of the thigh with an instant-read food thermometer.
Fifth, Eat a Healthy Summer Meal
- Plate up the grilled chicken thighs and the mixed vegetable packets.
- Pour a big glass of water or less-sugary homemade lemonade.
- Serve the chilled watermelon for a healthy dessert.
I’m sharing some handy and healthy menu plans for everyday kitchen success. Cooking at home has so many benefits like the nutritiously homemade flavors, the fewer dollars out of your wallet, and the satisfaction of making a delicious meal.
What healthy, summer grill meal is your favorite to cook?